Intro- Janie, an 18 year old girl, fresh out of high school, taking a year off before beginning college, moves into her first apartment! Apparently, it isn't a normal apartment. A strange man lives upstairs, but Janie knows he is hiding something. What is it?
Janie
“I’m sure I’ll be ok, Mom. Stop
worrying!” Janie began to her mother, exasperated. “If you would just-“
“Oh, I know,” Mrs. O’Connell
fretted. “I just can’t believe my little baby is all grown up!” She leaved down
to kiss her 18-year-old daughter on the forehead, as if she was a little baby.
“Mom,” Janie said, softer this
time. “It’s okay! I’ll come visit every few days, and I’ll call you if I need
anything, anything at all.”
“Alright.” Mrs. O’Connell said
sadly, wiping a tear from her eye. “I’ll just miss you so much.”
“Me too, mom.” Janie blinked back a
tear, hugging her mom. “I’ll call you later, after I get settled in!” She
closed the door to her new apartment, smiling through the tears. She could
finally have the freedom she had been craving for the past 5 years! She loved
her mother, don’t get her wrong, but Helena O’Connell was just too protective
sometimes of her one and only daughter, Janie. Janie grabbed the few grocery
bags she had bought at the grocery store just then with her mother, and began
to put them back where they belong. Order could never hurt in a new home. If
she wanted to stay organized without her mom doing everything for her, she
better start right away! Janie dropped a peanut butter jar on her toe, and
screamed in pain and annoyance. There was a stomp from upstairs, and Jamie
froze. The landlord said the apartment above was unoccupied, because he had
also offered her that one, though she preferred 2nd floor right
above the lobby. Janie assured herself it was just someone on the 4th
floor; there were probably kids up there running around. That thought made her
tear up again, made her think of all the happy years she had spent with her
parents before the divorce. Helena O’Connell was a naturally cheerful young
woman until her husband, Jack Price, ditched her for the young woman down the
street. After the divorce, Helena was quiet, reserved, and quite overprotective
of Janie. Janie missed her old, happy family, before Dad left. “Well,” she
concluded, talking to herself now. “We did have 13 years of fun! I just need to
think of the positive. Yeah, that’s it! Think of the positive.” Janie suddenly
realized that her toe was still throbbing painfully. She put down the bag of
groceries she was holding and walked out of the kitchen into the small hallway
leading to the bathroom. She tripped over something, what it was she did not
know. It might have just been her clumsiness. All she knew was that when she
fell, she knocked over the coat rack, which fell with a loud clang. Someone
cursed loudly upstairs, and the stomping occurred again. Whoever was up there
was walking down the stairs, loudly! Janie jumped up quickly, and ran to go
lock the door. She was too late. The door was pushed open, and with a bang
whammed against the wall. A man stood there, not just any ordinary man. This man
looked as if he was too old and fragile to make that much noise. Janie blinked
many times, making sure she had seen right. He had balding hair, but what was
left was starch white. He had on an old smock shirt, like he had been painting,
with smudges of what appeared to be spaghetti sauce all over it. He walked into
the house, and Janie shrank back against the wall, wondering what this man was
going to do.
Cliff hanger!!! :D
No comments:
Post a Comment